Ethiopia Radio and Television Agency, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Back in 1997, PG Stage worked alongside Megahertz (now part of The KIT Digital Group) to install two television studios to the Ethiopian Radio and Television Agency (ERTA) in the capital Addis Ababa.
ERTA is Ethiopia’s only television channel and is owned by the Ethiopian Government. Its programming includes news, sport, music and other entertainment programmes including ‘Ethiopian Idol’ which follows the format of American Idol.
The television channel was created in 1964 to broadcast the Organisation of African Unity meeting which took place in Addis Ababa that year. ERTA now broadcasts 24 hours a day in Amharic, Afan Oromo, Tigrigna, Somali, Afar, English, Arabic and French.
Following developments in the broadcast industry and as part of ERTA’s expansion project, PG Stage was invited back to the studios to upgrade the smaller of the two television studio’s video and audio distribution systems, once again working alongside Megahertz.
For this project PG Stage:
- Replaced the existing Strand 24 Memory Control Desk (the last one ever made) with an ETC Smart Fade desk, a more powerful and flexible desk allowing ease of
- configuration and programming of the studio.
- Replaced the existing dimming system to bring it in line with current trends in TV studios.
- Installed a new curtain track and drapes.
- Installed complete new lantern stock from the Desti range of luminaires incorporating both tungsten and fluorescent technology.
In addition to the installation, PG Stage provided full testing, commissioning, demonstration and training of all equipment.
Project Managers: Paul Holt and Dave Mulligan
Client: Megahertz (KIT Digital)
Approx Value: £13,000
Completion Date: December 2012
PG Stage Overall Schedule: 1 week